Hey friends! 👋🏻
It’s mah birthday today! The big ol’ 2-5. A quarter of a century. Oh boy, I am starting to feel old now…
A LOT has happened in my 25 years, particularly the most recent couple of years.
I moved away from home to attend college, and then 4 years later, graduated from said college with a bachelor’s degree in computer science/ information systems 🤓💻; Got my first big girl job; Starting this blog (My blog baby! 😍); Getting ANOTHER big girl job in the big city; Moving out of my parent’s house into my own cozy apartment.
And of course not all of these memories are good. Some were not so good, but it definitely proved to myself how tough I can be.
I have learned some things in my 25 years around the sun, and I would like to pass some of that onto you!
1.Don’t make excuses for people who aren’t pulling their weight. This took me a while to learn but once I stopped making excuses for people it felt like a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders.
2. Get involved in college. This is more of a regret than anything, but I wish I would’ve become more involved in college: clubs and activities. I did join a weekly workout classes and got to know some great people through that. I met a lot of people in the clubs that I did do, and some of them I still am friends with to this day ☺️
3. Embrace your weirdness. I’m weird and I’m not afraid to show it. This took me a while to learn because I think we are all a little scared and nervous to appear weird to other people but I am saying screw it! ✌🏻
4. Quality over quantity. This principle can be applied to lots of things, but I especially take this to heart with friends. I would MUCH rather have a close group of really good friends, than a lot of people who I can hang with but aren’t really close with.
5. Some people just grow apart. And that’s ok.
6. Give yourself a proper pamper night at least once a week. My pamper night includes a luxurious face mask, hair mask, bubble bath with a Lush bath bomb, lather myself with my favorite Bath and Body Works lotion, and then finish with a complete skincare routine. So lush.
7. Develop a good skin care routine. And stick to it. Seriously I wish I had done this sooner, but now I am really starting to take time every morning and night to do a proper skin care routine.
8. Don’t take everything too seriously. Life’s too short to be serious all the time.
9. Not everyone will like you. As someone who wants everyone to like me this was a hard one to swallow. “Why won’t this one person like me?” But I’ve learned to just let it go and move on and spend energy on the people who make time for me.
10. And you will not like everyone you meet. As much as I hate to admit it, there have been many times where I meet someone once and I instantly don’t like them. I don’t really have any real reason why, but it’s just something about them that rubs me the wrong way.
11. You are your own advocate. You have to stand up for yourself because if YOU don’t do it, nobody else is going to do it for you.
12. Be nice to your parents, they are trying their best. Love you Mom and Dad!
13. Go out of your comfort zone every once in a while. #TRYNEWTHINGS…coming soon. 😉
14. The secret is that nobody knows what they’re doing either. I heard this quote somewhere a while ago and it strangely made me feel a lot better about not knowing what I was doing. We’re all just trying to get through life.
15. Be curious about everything. Ask questions, READ, do research, seek out answers to your questions!
16. Save as much money as you can! Yes, yes, YES! I can’t say this any louder. In fact, I will be writing some blog posts exclusively on this topic so look for those when they come out.
17. Everyone has a story to share. One of my absolute favorite things is listening to someone talk about something they are so passionate about because you can just see the happiness radiating from their face and so excited to share their passion with you. It makes my heart feel so full!
18. Being nice doesn’t cost you anything. One of my life mottos. 🙌🏻
19. It’s totally ok to not want to go out drinking and partying every weekend. When I scroll through photos on Facebook and see people going out and partying with all their friends, sometimes I feel like I’m not as cool as they are. but then I remember that I love sitting on the couch in my sweatpants more than that.
20. Hard work makes the dream work. If you don’t put in the hard work, you can’t expect to have everything happen for you right away!
21. One of the best feelings is coming home after a long day at work and getting into your PJs and cuddling on the couch with a cozy blanket. Need I say more.
22. Appreciate the small moments in life. Sometimes it’s those little moments that mean the most.
23. Dogs are one of the best creatures to ever exist on the planet. I mean have you ever passed a dog and had to resist saying “Awwwww I love you!!!!” every time? Just me?
24. Don’t slouch. You (and your back) will thank you later.
+ last but not least…
25. Don’t touch your eyebrows. Have a professional do it instead. Seriously, I wish 14 year Emily had been told that. 😅
Thank you for all the birthday wishes + love! It makes me feel happy and appreciated! 💕
On to 25! I’m excited to see what this next year will bring and I hope you join us! 😘